Mermaid Kitchen: Pretendy Duck Dumplings

A while back, my mum and I went to the Chinese supermarket in Birmingham. I went with the goal of getting condensed coconut milk (for fudge) and dumplings (because I love a good dumpling). As well as coming away with a few other gems, I came back with gyoza skins with the aim of making my own dumplings. I decided to have a go this week.

Pretendy Duck Dumplings

I figured I should start with something simple, in case it all went horribly wrong. It was also a little bit of an impromptu decision, so I hadn't shopped specifically for it. But I remembered that we had the Linda McCartney vegetarian shredded duck in the freezer. Nothing says simple like hoisin duck dumplings. At the very least I know the flavours work, and that I'm not likely to make myself sick from not cooking it properly!

All you need.



INGREDIENTS
  • Linda McCartney vegetarian shredded duck,
  • Hoisin sauce,
  • Gyoza skins.
These are so simple to make, it is hardly worth writing out a method!

Sizzle, sizzle.


METHOD
  1. Warm up a pan with a little oil. Once warm, add the "duck".
  2. Heat the "duck" through, which takes only a couple of minutes.
  3. Add the hoisin sauce and warm through again.
  4. Once cooked, take off the heat and fill a small dish with water.
  5. Now it's time to assemble the dumplings: separate a few skins from the pack
  6. Spoon a bit of the "duck" mix onto one half of the skin.
  7. Dip your finger into the water and run it along edge of one half of the skin.
  8. Fold the skin over and press onto the wet edge to seal it.
  9. Repeat until you're out of mix.
  10. Place the pan back onto the heat with the dumplings.
  11. Flip after about a minute, they only need browning a little. 
  12. Serve with dip!


Assembling the dumplings.


They tasted really good! They were a good little addition to our noodle dinner.  As making them like this was so simple, I'm looking forward to experimenting. Obviously, I could add shredded spring onion to this mix to mix it up a little. Or I could make a vegetable teriyaki dumpling. I may even one day brave making proper dumplings!

Served and ready to go


What flavour dumplings would you make? Any more suggestions for me to try? Lemme know below!


Listening to: This is Panic! At The Disco

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line