Final Friday Top Five!

With it being less than a week until Hallowe'en, I thought I'd give you my top five...

Spooky Fish!

5. Blob Fish

Picture from Earth Touch News

Blob fish just look so strange! They look like sad, sentient jelly. They do look a little more normal in their natural habitat, 2,800m (9,200ft) below the surface. The reason they look so blobby at the surface is because their bodies are built for high pressure living. The have developed gelatinous bodies to withstand the pressure as well as a buoyancy aid. If they used regular buoyancy techniques of other fish, they would run the risk of vomiting out an organ or two whenever they experienced a change in pressure. Isn't nature amazing?

Still, I think it would scare the bejeezus out of me if someone wanted to spook me with a blob fish!


4. Giant Squid

Picture from The Independent


Giant Squid are spooky because we have known about them for a really long time, but they have only recently been caught on camera. Like, this century recently. When the Giant Squid was introduced in Harry Potter, back in 1998, it would still be nearly ten years later when scientists first photographed a live giant squid. How insane is that?!

But like I said, we have known about these gargantuan, ten tentacled monsters of the deep for ages. They have been used as bad guys in fictional works, like in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. Their corpses have washed up on shores. Yet these giants have remained elusive and ghost-like. Spooooooky.

But also, because they live as deep as blob fish.


3. Goblin Shark

Picture from Nat Geo Kids

OK, we all knew I was going to include this one. And we all know why. Endless Ocean. The Abyss. It just appearing. Scary. As.

But on a more serious note, these guys are spooky as because they have a retractable jaw which they use to just drift up to and gobble their unsuspecting prey. Why is the prey unsuspecting? Because they live in complete darkness! The little fish will be just minding its own business when all of a sudden, a set of jaws appears to have chomped them in half! And how does the goblin shark know its dinner is there? Because it's huge nose is covered in sensors which pick up the electric field of creatures.

Ok, so that doesn't spook me as much as the Endless Ocean game play. Goblin sharks are pretty awesome.


2. Rhinochimera

Picture from mnn

Want to see the cutest little spooky fish? It's definitely this guy. The Rhinochimera live in the deep waters off the North Eastern coast of America. Not much is known about them, other than its striking resemblance to Zero from Nightmare Before Christmas. Do I want this fish to follow me about while I lament my midlife crisis? Yes, yes I do. (Seriously, NBC is about a skeleton having a midlife crisis.)


Honourable Mentions
Clownfish (We all float down here 🎈)
Piranha
Stonefish

1. Angler Fish

Picture from Sci-News

Of course these badass ladies are my number one spooky fish. Their teeth are the stuff of nightmares, after they have lured you in with their pretty lights. And I say ladies specifically, because male angler fish are tiny. When they mate with the females they literally fuse to them and remain attached for the rest of their lives, to be used at the lady fish's whims. Want to learn more, check out my #MCotM profile I did on them.

Fish don't come much spookier than this!


What do you think of my spookiest fish? Which do you find spookiest? Have I missed any? Lemme know below!


Listening to: Music to Rediscover

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line