Final Friday Top Five!

It occurs to me that I should be thinking about Christmas... But I don't have the brain for it, so it can be Not Christmas for just a little bit longer. So have a Top Five!

Final Friday Top Five

Disney Sidekicks

From Movies In/On/Around Water


Yes, that specific. Do you know how few Disney films are based around water? So some real liberties have been taken. Starting with...

5. Ray (The Princess & The Frog)

Picture from Disney Wiki

Bear with me on this one. So he's in The Princess & The Frog, which has an actual water-y sidekick - Louis the Alligator. But Ray lives in the Bayou which is a swampy habitat. While I like the trumpet playing gator, I like Ray better. He is voiced by Jim Cummings, who voices everyone! From Scar's singing voice to modern Winnie the Pooh, if the film is animated this guy is likely to be in it. Plus, he sings My Belle Evangeline which is not only beautiful but the song my sister walked down the aisle to. It makes my soul happy that he gets to join his Evangeline in the end.

4. Gil (Finding Nemo)

Picture from Disney Wiki

Gil is more the B-story sidekick, and this does encompass the whole tank in general. They help and support Nemo in trying to escape so that he can reunite with his dad, Gil especially so. They could have easily just told the poor kid to settle into his new life. Instead, they accept him, Gil takes him under his fin, and when they realise that Marlin is on his way they increase their efforts to escape - for him. Squad goals, am I right?

3. Sebastian (The Little Mermaid)

Picture from Looper

Under the Sea is the original bop and I'm sure most 90s kids would agree. I mean it has the line:
What do they got, a lot of sand?
We got a hot crustacean band!
So, Sebastian gets a lot of love purely because of this song. As a kid, I remember finding him a little annoying but watching it with more mature eyes, you can see he is just trying to do his job and keep Ariel safe. And goes through hell, trying to do so! He has a difficult charge and an unreasonable boss, is it just me or does that sound relatable?

2. Dory (Finding Nemo)

Picture from Disney Wiki

Dory is only a sidekick in Finding Nemo, she is the star of the show in the sequel. But she is one of the best sidekicks - hence why she'd so high on the list. She provides the perfect balance of whimsy, comic relief, and heart to a beautiful film. Bonus, she's not "just the love interest". She has a character (oodles of it!), she's funny, and she'd damn quotable. Who hasn't said, "And I shall call you my squishy?" when petting a particularly fluffy friend? She is the best friend to Marlin, even when he's not great to her. Even after they part ways, she still tries to find Nemo even though she barely remembers why or what she's doing. Dory is the sort of fish you'd want in your corner.

Honourable Mentions
Flounder (The Little Mermaid)
Louis (The Princess & The Frog)
Bruce (Finding Nemo)


1.Heihei (Moana)

Picture from Disney Wiki

Chickens are not the first thought for a water themed sidekick, but hear me out. Heihei is the best. He never utters a word yet is one of the funniest characters in the film. And if we're not laughing at something he's directly done, then it's at something Maui is doing to him. Having an accidental chicken on the boat, a completely useless and mentally void one at that, was just genius. And there was something just adorable about the way he kept falling off the boat. The fact that Moana didn't just fling him off the boat, because he was a liability, shows her caring side and how she values everyone. It shows that she has the stuff to make her a good leader.

Plus, he is voiced by Alan Tudyk! As in Wash from Firefly, Wat from A Knight's Tale, and Duke Wesselton from Frozen.

Who are your favourite five watery Disney sidekicks? Can you think of five others? Does anyone else love Alan Tudyk as much as I do? Lemme know, below!

Listening to: This Is Lana Del Rey

Comments

  1. Alan Tudyk is the best XD

    I always loved Flotsam and Jetsam (can I count them as two separate ones if I can’t get to five?? lol)

    Bruce from Nemo (fish are friends, not food)

    Hank the octopus from Finding Dory (loves him I do)

    Crush! He’s totally awesome dude!!

    Uhhhh.... oh oh oh! Tick Tock the crocodile in Peter Pan!! He was always adorably hungry and not bothered about who he ate. And funny because he ticks 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one in Camp Alan Tudyk Is Awesome. XD
      I completely forgot about Hank - he was pretty cool in Finding Dory. I think the entire supporting cast in both the Finding films are amazing.
      I never knew the crocodile had a name. Never Smile At A Crocodile is a bop. I remember when Dylan used to think that crocodiles on a whole said tick tock. XD

      Delete
    2. Fairly sure my mum has recurring nightmares from childhood of the ticking crocodile - from a play or possibly just the book. I may have always found this amusing...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line