Final Friday Top Five!

Who fast forwarded November? Go on, own up! Has November whizzed by for anyone else? Well, never mind. As we are within 30 days before Christmas, I am going to resist the temptation to Grinch it up and just go with it. So have my top five Christmas films which I shall be indulging in over the coming weeks.


5. Edward Scissorhands

This movie is beautiful and such a lovely origin for why it snows. It's not specifically a Christmas film, but I feel it qualifies because the climax of the story happens at Christmas. Plus, the whole "this is why it snows" thing. I am a big fan of Tim Burton, if that hadn't come across already. His wacky view of the world and strong stylised imagery has always delighted me. Even before I knew about auteurship, mise-en-scene, and all those other film student phrases.

I remember watching Edward Scissorhands at Christmas every year when growing up and I do believe it has led to a lifelong appreciation of Tim Burton and Vincent Price. (He plays the inventor and has the most epic voice ever.) Watching this film, or any of his really, makes my inner goth girl very happy.


4. Die Hard

I went there. Die Hard is a a Christmas film. It is set on Christmas Eve, at a Christmas party, and features the line, "Ho ho ho, now I have a gun." Christmas. Film.

Plus, it is such a great film.

One of my lecturers said it was the perfect example of a script because everything that could go wrong for John McClane does while still making perfect sense in the context of the film. Can you deny it? There is a reason why many characters in the current age of television are obsessed with this film. It is brilliant.

I cannot talk about Die Hard without mentioning the late, great Alan Rickman. I mean, he is the whole reason I actually bought the Die Hard 1-4 boxset. I needed more Alan Rickman films in my collection. Yes, I know he is only in the first one but it was cheaper to buy the boxset than the individual film. Also, I like the sequels. Not as much as the first, but they are fun. Still, this was Alan Rickman's first film role and he is just wonderfully sinister. The bit where he pretends to be an employee and talks to John just shows how great of an actor he really was.

Yippe kayak, other buckets!


3. Muppet's Christmas Carol

Another classic from my childhood. In my honest opinion, this is the best adaptation of Dickens' Christmas Carol. It has songs, bad jokes, and Muppets. Plus, Michael Caine. It stays true enough to source material, hitting all the right emotional notes and morals, but executes it in marvelous Muppet style.

Gonzo and Rizzo the Rat's narration gives it that Victorian feel while providing some meta, light-hearted fun. Miss Piggy is just Miss Piggy which is somehow extra funny in the impoverished Cratchett setting. The music is delightfully catchy. The ghosts are amazing, especially the Ghost of Christmas Future. That used to scare the living daylights out of me!

If it wasn't for the Muppets then I probably would not have any connection to this classic Christmas tale. They made something stuffy accessible to me, a 90s child constantly hyper on Sunny D and blue food colouring.

Fun fact: the voice of Miss Piggy, Frank Oz, also provides the voice for Yoda.


2. The Grinch

The Grinch is my spirit animal. Spirit Who? In any case, when I struggle to feel festive in the face of mass consumerism and capitalism, it is the Grinch I turn to. The Jim Carey version. His cartoonish expressions work perfectly with the green costume. The film is campy, heartwarming, so damn quoteable, and the root of it all is that Christmas is in the people you celebrate with - not the things you buy. Also, Christine Baranski is a babe.

I wouldn't say I was the biggest fan of Dr Seuss growing up but I was certainly aware of his stories, of which the Grinch is definitely my favourite. The nonsense rhymes and massive variety in the Whos works well with the Christmas tale of the grumpy miser whose heart grows three sizes. It's a surreal version of Christmas Carol really.

Naturally, I cannot talk about the Grinch without mentioning the bop that is You're A Mean One, Mr Grinch. What. A. Tune. It's jazzy, has some amazing rhymes, and mentions a ten foot barge pole. What is not to love? 

 

Honourable Mentions

The Holidate

Arthur Christmas

Hey Arnold! Christmas Special

 

1. Nightmare Before Christmas

 

Was there any doubt that this would be my number one? We already have one Tim Burton entry on this list and Oogie Boogie won the last Top Five. This film ticks all my boxes.

Gothic? Yep.

Cracking music? Yep.

Haunting score? Absolutely.

Campy protagonist? Oh yeah.

Epic villain song? Damn straight. 

Amazing visuals? Very much so.

Having the theming cross both Hallowe'en and Christmas means you can pretty much watch this non-stop from October to New Year. I definitely listen to the songs all year round. When it comes down to it, this is basically a film about Jack Skellington having a midlife crisis. So many films have this concept at their core, but Nightmare turns it into a magical adventure of Christmas and self discovery. And again, at the heart of it, it's about the people around Jack giving him satisfaction in life - rather than the things. There isn't an overt anti-consumerism message in this film but having those strong connections between the characters aligns nicely with how I feel.

Now, if you don't mind, I am going to binge listen to the soundtrack.

 


What are your favourite Christmas films? Have I missed any good ones? (No, don't say Home Alone or Elf for that. I said good ones.) Do you agree with any of my picks? Lemme know, below!

 

 

Listening to: Christmas music!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line