Final Friday Top Five

 

 

5. Neverwinter

 


If you have spoken to me within the last year, there is no doubt that I will have mentioned Neverwinter. I have sunk many an hour of my life onto this game and I love it. Since reaching level 80 is has gotten a little more repetitive than before, but then again the game hasn't just stopped now that I am a hero of Neverwinter. There are seasonal events, replayable missions, and additional campaigns for me to play. Lots of things to hit and shinys to find. It does keep me quiet for an hour or two.

If anyone plays and sees a Barbarian named Kestrel about, that's me!


4. Balder's Gate

 

 


This is a game which I have been playing since I was a teenager and recently rediscovered with my partner. We like to have games we play together and RPGs work great for us. Balder's Gate: Dark Aliance and Balder's Gate: Dark Aliance II are two games which we have completed together (as well as a load of Lego games!) We like games which are a nice balance of story, collecting things, and fighting all the monsters.


3. Torchlight II

 


Torchlight II is a lot like Balder's Gate in a way. Lots of collectables, no respawning monsters, simple story, and big maps to get lost in. It's just a lot more colourful! It was one of the Epic Games Store free games a couple months back and one my sisters got too. So every now and then, we join forces to smash all the things.

Can you see a theme with why I like these games?


2. Dungeons & Dragons

 


Obviously, I cannot talk about RPGs without mentioning the OG RPG, DnD. I love me some Dungeons and Dragons! I have had a number of characters over the years - Swish the Water Genasi Druid, Um the Wood Elf Druid, Bori Bali the Bard Half Orc, Asterope Hippo the Neried Sorcerer or Warlock (I forget), and Raf the Tortle Paladin. Plus, Mehen the Dragonborn Rouge who was the dumbest and clumsiest character who ever did live and it's a surprise she lived as long as she did really.

I have made some excellent friends playing DnD and I always enjoy dusting off the acting skills for role playing. Recently, I started my own campaigns as Dungeon Master. I DM for Carole and her kids - complete with an epic Christmas session that featured an actual mimic and magic candy canes. And I have just started a campaign for my sisters and BIL. They are all evil, it is going to be great fun.

I am also interested in crafting a few one shot sessions with pre-heroes for post-Covid life, so please do let me know if you are interested in playing a one shot!


Honourable Mentions

Final Fantasy X (and the series in general)

Kingdom Hearts

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

 

1. Final Fantasy IX

 


Final Fantasy IX is my all time favourite game, Final Fantasy, game score. Give me a remotely game themed category and chances are this game will be at the top of the list. It's colourful, turn based, great story, and the leveling up mechanic strikes the right balance of simple but not too simple. Meaning that you equip something, keep it on until you have learned its ability, then you have the option to equip that ability and a new item! None of this buying access to weapons you don't need or want because the one you do want is after it. I'm looking at you FF12.

I have played this game so many times, even actually completed it once or twice too! It has plenty of extras that you can sink you teeth into - Chocobo Hot or Cold, Chocograph Hunting, the Tetra Master Card Game, and secret battles. I have literally been playing this game for twenty years and only just learned about a secret fight in Alexandria. And I have played this with walkthroughs before!

The characters are great too. Zidane is a thirsty bench, Quina is just a quueeeeeennn, Eiko is a feisty little thing, and Steiner is so over dramatic it is hilarious. This game was released in 2001 and the FMVs are still amazing. The background art is incredible when you consider it was released on PlayStation 1. Final Fantasy IX is the best FF and I will die on this hill.



What are your favourite RPGs? Care to challenge my FF opinion? Any suggestions for RPGs I could try? Lemme know, below!


Listening to: FF9 Feels

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line