u n d e r p r e p a r e d

Gah! So my attempt at being a grown up with a job and organised blog is going great so far. In my defense, we were having electrical work done last weekend and so I was without internet for large portions of my day. But yes, it is no excuse and I should really be better prepared. I'm learning, ok? My plan was for this post to be all about the shiny environmental books sitting on my shelf, gathering dust, and how I will read them! Still going to talk about it, but in short format. Aka, my dinner is cooking and I am operating on a limited time frame because bad planning!

Turning the Tide on Plastic by Lucy Siegle

I am ashamed to say that I got this book for Christmas a few years back and I have yet to even open it. Terrible, as I was even considering buying a copy before being gifted! It has a gorgeous front cover and the back tells me it is full of handy tips and life practises for reducing waste and plastic. A vital read, all things considered.

I have to admit though, I am having real trouble with consistently reading. I started The Shark Caller by Zillah Bethell the other night and it is a beautiful read. It's set in Papau New Guinea, has some native language in it, MAPS; and yet I have not picked it up since my binge read on whatever night it was. It is all too easy to be distracted by the shiny games on my ipad or stay up that little bit too late watching just one more episode. But I am actively trying to break this.

With my new job, I work on my computer all day. With COVID still going strong, my social life is still online so I spend most of my evenings on my computer. However, since making the decision to not write my blog on Wednesdays after work - the brain drain is real - I am using my Wednesdays as a Screen Free Evening. I'll do crafty things, read, play board games - strain my eyes in a different way to my computer screen! My hope is that on some Wednesday evenings, I will curl up in the recliner chair with a blanket and a book. I am looking forward to it already! If I wasn't spending this weekend decorating, I woul probably do it then too!

Helping Our Planet by Jane Bingham

This is a bright and colourful book I am borrowing from Carole. She shared a pic on Insta about reading it with her kids. The brightness (and easiness) of it appealed! What can I say? I like to slowly ease myself into habits. Also with training and adjusting to my new job still, I am finding I have little attention span at the moment. It does get better right? You become hardy to these things and find energy, right? Or am I just an adult now - constantly tired and out of time.

When did that happen?!

Well, urm, it is legit less than a month til my 30th Birthday. God I feel old.

Anyway, the timer is almost up on my dinner so I had best leave it there. If anyone has any other good environmental reads do share the titles below. I am always looking for a good book, even if I just stare lovingly at it and never read the damn thing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line