Mermaid's Top Five Songs About The Ocean

Banner featuring the musicians included in the Top Five Songs About the Ocean list

Welcome to the slightly polished and looking like new Top Five! Instead of always posting them at the end of the month, I will now post them when the mood takes. Capiche?!


This list is my Top Five Songs Songs About the Ocean. Those of you will remember that I posted my Final Friday Top Five Sea Songs, but that post is two years old and I have some new additions. So, strap yourselves in and wrap your ears around these absolute bops.

If Ever I Stray - Frank Turner

I funking love Frank Turner. I have been to see him live twice and his album, England Keep My Bones, will always hold a special place in my heart. This song is from that album.

While not technically about the sea or ocean, this song is about using the restorative powers of the sea to help a man struggling with his mental health to recentre. Just with a bit of the classic Frank Turner agression. (I always describe him as a folk singer who is angry about being a folk singer.)

I absolutely adore this song. At times it was as close as I could get to someone throwing me into the English Channel, but it did the trick. Do yourself a favour though, and listen to the whole album.

The Wolves and the Ravens - Rogue Valley

I found this song on the soundtrack to The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and it is, again, an absolute blinder of an album. This song has serious gap year abroad love story vibes and plenty of seaside imagery. It's the sort of song which just transports you to a place, even if you have never been. Hella chill, lovely melody - my kind of music all in all.

Seaside - The Kooks

As someone who was a teen during the Naughties, it is a miracle this did not make it onto the previous list really. The Kooks had their time to shine around about when I was 15. This was one I immediately found the chords for and quite often would listen to it more than once in one sitting. Teenage me just wanted to go to the seaside and fall in love. Preferably with a guitar weilding cutie. How do I break it to my inner-15-year-old that I am with an Italian who sings like Beaker?

Cake by the Ocean - DNCE

Ok, so this song is definitely not about enjoying a slice of cake by the ocean, but gosh darn it is a bop! I have fond memories of my sister and her husband cha-cha-chaing to this in their kitchen. It's just such a fun song and alway gets my feet itching for a dance.

Honourable Mentions

Davy Jones - Hans Zimmer

How Far I'll Go - Auli'i Cravalho

Help! I'm a Fish - The Little Trees

The Girl From The Sea - Smith & Thell

I cannot stress enough: Smith & Thell need more love. They are incredible. This Swedish folk duo have an amazing range of fun, folky, and upbeat songs. This song is also proof they do a great slow tune too. This song is about a girl who is actually a mermaid finally joining the sea, where she belongs. It's beatiful, tragic, and heartwarming all at once. You need to listen to it. Do it. Do it now! Press that play button.

And then go and look them up on Spotify. You. Are. Welcome.

So there you have it, my Top Five Songs About the Ocean. Got any to add? Lemme know below!

Social media banner for Landlocked Mermaid Salop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line