That's Pants! And That's Good!

 

Banner displaying the blog title "That's Pants! And That's Good!" with a polaroid featuring period pants

For a long time I have been, for lack of a better word, afraid of period pants. I just don't get it. Where does all the stuff go?! But for even longer, I have suffered the discomfort of pads - first disposable and now resuable. Don't get me wrong the reusable pads are a massive improvement on their plastic counterpart. They're pretty, softer on the skin, less polluting - but it still feels like I am wearing a nappy every time I have my period.

Well, no more.

Well, no more-ish.

Come on a journey with me.

7/6: Landlocked Mermaid Braves Period Pants

Screen grab of a google search for period pants

I follow a number of accounts on social media which advertise period pants. Thinx, ModiBodi - if I don't physically follow them, I certainly get their adverts. While I have always loved the idea of just wearing pants on my period, general confusion and baulking at price tags kept me from ever venturing further than the adverts.

But I cannot hide behind excuses forever. Especially not if it is going to compromise my comfort. And the comfort of other women. Seriously, if these pants work then we should be doing everything in our power to make them mainstream. Imagine how much better your teen years would have been if you didn't spend one week every month paranoid about leaks, being caught short, and everyone seeing your pads when you change for P.E.

But I am getting ahead of myself. At the time of writing this, all I have done is order the pants. This post will cover my journey as I experience period pants for the first time. 

What inspired this seemingly sudden change?

Well, it is currenly the Wildlife Trust's #30DaysWild - a challenge across the month of June to do daily random acts of wildness. This year I actually got signed up in time to recieve the pack in the post, and it came with an Activity Passport. Designed to prompt inspiration and fill in those days when you are at a loss, it has a number of activities which you can do. (And claim with a sticker when done!)

One of the prompts is "Change a household item to a reusable" or something to that effect. Why yes, I am downstairs and it is upstairs, and I am too lazy to go up to verify the wording. The point is, the prompt is about integrating one of the many new resuable alternatives to your daily life. True, I have already done this when it comes to period products, but that is not to say I cannot interpret in my own way. A lot of my household items have already been changed.

This venture and inspiration came at the perfect time. While still mindful of a budget and that one does not grow on trees, I do now have a little more spending money - especially when it comes to investing in myself and my self care.

Because oh yes, does making yourself comfortable during your period count as self care.

Screen grab of Cheeky Wipe's website, specifically their page for period pants.

Now, I always new which brand I would opt for when it came to buying period pants. I have followed Cheeky Wipes pretty much since the beginning, they are a UK based company which initially traded in reusable baby wipes. Over the last couple years, they have expanded into make-up wipes, nappys, pads, and  - you guessed it - period pants. Honestly, it did not even cross my mind to use any of the other brand.

On the afternoon of June 7th, I took to the Cheeky Wipes website while I let the dinner burn. There was some back and forthing with figuring out the best deal for me - free shipping, the 10% coupon for signing up to the news letter, what I actually wanted. In the end, I opted for four pairs of period pants: two black high waisted pants, and two berry mid-rise pants. Because why would I not go for berry?!

Now, I tentatively wait for the dispatch email and the 48 hour tracked shipping. Until then....

10-11/6 The Pants Arrive and Get Tested

Rather exciting, I recieved the dispatch email just a day after ordering and notification that they would be arriving with me on the 10th. Impatiently, I waited. Since delving into the world of Kickstarters, I have discovered that I have zero patience when it comes to waiting for present which I order. And yes, I count period pants as presents. If making yourself happy and comfortable during your period doesn't count as self care, then what does?!#

After the postie's arrival, I took at a ad dash from the office to the garage where the fella had picked up the post. I was very excited and of course had to try on a pair immediately.

Upon opening the parcel, I was alarmed at how huge they were. It was a genuine Is my ass really that big?! moment. The sizes on Cheeky Wipes were grouped, 10-12, 14-16, etc. Usually, I fume because I am somewhere between the 12-14 mark which makes the 10-12s too small and the 14-16s too big. That was my initial reaction, and I will stand by any and all indignation about not just making things one size raather than a blend of two, but with all the lockdown snacking it was fair to assume I needed the 14-16s.

So yeah, my ass is really that big.

Because they fit beautifully.

Cheeky Wipe period pants, high waisted black pants and medium rise berry pants

 

I went for the berry mid-rise pants first - I do enjoy pretty pants. On first inspection, they were made of  nice material and the period absorbing patch was very obvious. Now, this is where my anxiety about the whole period pant thing kicked back in. How was I supposed to trust they would work? Am I supposed to change my knickers as regularly as I would my pads? WHAT SORCERY MAKES THEM WORK?!

Then the helpful cheat sheet fell out from the folded invoice.

Ah sweet relief. The flyer (ish? not really sure what to call it) covered all I needed to know. It's like they knew I'd panic. Helpfully, it informed me that I should pair the pants with a pad during heavy flow, but from moderate to light they were go to rock solo. When removed, they need to be rinsed in cold water and washed with all your other period stuff in the machine on a low heat. Washing reusable period products on a high heat effectively cooks the blood stains into your pads/pants. Cheeky thing to remember if I ever find myself murdering someone, I guess.

After reading the flyer, there was nothing stopping me from putting them on! (Because, yes I am that sort of unorganised that I order period products on the first day of my cycle.)

It was very strange pulling up my pants, knowing there was nothing between them and my shorts. But it was also a massive relief to not pull up my pants and get an immediate wedgie. I have always likened wearing pads to wearing a nappy, but being hyper aware of this thing in my pants lifted. I went back to work and soon I completely forgot about it all. I even lounged and sat comfortably, which is something I never do when I'm on my period for fear of leaks.

The absorbant section goes all the way from waistband to waistband, front to back. You are covered. And covered comfortably.

Honestly, two days in and I am such a serious advocate. How have these not always been a thing? How they not used by more?! I opted for the high-waisted pants today, mix things up and test both pairs. I am just as happy with these as I am the pretty berry ones. The waist band is high enough that when I bloat it doesn't immediately dig in and leave welts - which is what I get currently with the old underwear dedicated to this week only. Plus, they, too, are made from a very nice material and are not trying to find ways inside me like a pad would.

One thing I have noticed which is not pleasant, is pulling them up post pee once they've been on for a bit. Now, take this with a pinch of salt beause it is hella muggy right now and I am constantly sweaty, but that inital reseating of the pants was a little grim. You know when you go to the toilet when you're at the swimming pool - the mid-session pee you so desperately try to avoid because pulling your bikini bottoms up is the worst? Well, it feels like that. It goes pretty quickly and I definitely noticed it less on the cooler of these past couple days. I guess it's more of a heads up.

All in all, I am so happy I braved buying these. They are definitely something I will amassing more of in the future and singing the praises of from every rooftop I can find. Let's make these mainstream! Natrually, on the heavier days I will still need to wear a pad, but it's such a relief to know that I do not have to spend ~7 days with one stuffed in my knickers.

Ok - wow, you made it to the end! Well done. Not only was this a long'un but I have talked rather extensively about my period and underwear. Applause for you. Have a puppy picture:

Puppy picture

What period product has revolutionised your life? Are you going to brave the period pant off the back of this rambling? Lemme know, below!

Banner for Landlocked Mermaid detailing social handles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line