Hanging Up My Running Shoes

 

Banner with the MD10K logo aaying "Hanging Up My Running Shoe"

Last weekend was the Market Drayton 10K - a staple event in the family running calendar. Except this year, I made the executive decision for this to be my last hurrah. Having decided much earlier in the year that running was no longer for me, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to hang up my running shoes.Not that I can really call them "shoes" anymore, they are that falling apart!

My relationship with running has always been that of a love-hate variety. Some days it would be easy and I would wonder why I did not run more. Then other days it would leave me crippled. I am not exaggerating here either, I have incredibly tight calves and some days the running would leave them rock solid. Which left me, unable to walk. Quite often this is how the 10K would leave me. Clearly, my body was trying to tell me something.

I am not built for running. It hurts my calves, it hurts my back, it hurts my boobs. So, why do something I clearly don't enjoy?

That's not to say I haven't enjoyed the running. Park Run will always hold a fond place in my heart and I enjoy the atmosphere of the MD10K. Even this year, with fewer spectators, there were still enough people to help push me along. Not that I ran very much of it.

Up until the 3km marker, I was on-off running. My sister and brothers were marshalling that corner, so I felt like I should try to run at least to them. I got some hugs then waddled on. Pretty much after that I was walking. With my badass playlist, unseasonably warm weather, and marshalls to joke around with, I actually had a really good time. Eventually, the back markers caught up with me and it was nice to have some company walking. To be honest, I think they were surprised to see me in such good spirits!

I did have one wobble where I thought I coul not go on. Around the 8km mark, just before the Dalelands hills, the calves were so tight it felt like glass stabbing me every step I took. That was the "nope, too much" point I had to be wary of. At this moment, however, the back-marker car pulled up beside me to check I was alright. They lovely chaps gave me some encouragement and some water - which was apparently what I needed. So, thank you to those fellas. Without them, I would have bailed.

All the way around, I had joked about coming dead last. Walking with the back marker ladies and the two marshalls who'd joined in, I was finally in dead last. It was great, even when the guy in the car flipped us off for not going on the path. You're the one driving through a road race, mate!

Shortly after the 9km marker, I was joined by my mum, step-dad, and brother-in-law. They stayed with me to the field. Initially, they were expecting to run with me from the point they found me, but I was saving it all for the sprint finish. (The BIL tried his best to get me running because he was cold!) I was enjoying recounting my 10K tales on the walk to the final stretch and hearing how everyone else did.

When we finally reached the field again, it was time for my sprint finish. Which the BIL kindly stayed with me for. Did I feel bad about ditching the back marker ladies? A little, but I did warn them I was going for it and I do love my sprint finishes. I always was more of a short distance runner.

I crossed the finish line at 1hour 54minutes. Sure, I was aiming for 2 hours and I came so close! But it will always make me happy to say I came third from last in the MD10K 2021. We'll just ignore my gun time that was 2 minutes faster. 

Whilst it may have taken me three days to be able to walk properly afterwards, I very much enjoyed my last hurrah. Next year I'll stick to marshalling.

Landlocked Mermaid Socials Banner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line