Five Changes I've Made To Reduce Plastic Use (So Far)

This was supposed to be an Ancient Seas post. I was researching that on my break at work and realised I was getting confused because I was looking up the wrong animal! So that's coming soon. Instead, I decided to give you an update on my plastic reduction efforts, what with it being #PlasticFreeJuly. With the job I have, I sometimes feel like the problem - god damn straws! - so it's nice to remind myself of how much I am achieving in my household. Got to balance my plastic footprint somehow!

1) Switch to Shampoo Bars
 


One of the few vanities I have is my hair. I can get fussy about what shampoo I use as I have quite a lot of hair. It is long, it is curly, and it is coloured. It's my ginger waterfall, I love it. I was a little worried that with the bars, I wouldn't be able to lather them up enough to clean my hair properly. I have had some success, though, which has encouraged me to get some more and try different styles. I struggled with the conditioner, but I am going to experiment. They also weren't as expensive as I feared, this bar was on Amazon for £3.75 which was the second most expensive bar from this purchase, so really not breaking the bank! Ideally, I would like to use the smaller companies, but budget is something I have to consider. Maybe I'll treat myself for Christmas.

This was a really easy switch to make in the end. And they are great to travel with - no worrying that your luggage will end up a shampoo explosion! Another good thing, when they get to the little bits I will be smushing them all together to get the most out of the bars. I always tried to scrape as much out of my shampoo bottles but there would always be a good glob-ful I couldn't quite reach!


2) Buying from the Market
 


I live in Market Drayton. Honestly, it was criminal that I wasn't using the market before! But now I have taken to browsing the stalls with my trusty tote bag, and filling it up with fruit and veg. It's nicer quality stuff, not suffocated in plastic, and it's good to support local. I keep hoping the cheese man will return so I can get a half wheel of dragon cheese from him - I miss that stuff! 

The only hinderance for shopping at the market is my work schedule, I cannot guarentee I am always free on market day, but thankfully the fruit and veg lasts quite a long time. I am also limited by what they have available. Still, it will challenge to cook what's available and not just the four meals I can cook. It's a good job the merman will eat just about anything!

3) Buying from the Butchers

 

Our weekly shop often included the 3 for £10 deal on meat. Being from a supermarket, it was covered in plastic which was only 50% recyclable. Our weekly shop also included vegetarian alternatives, as I spent 13 years meat free and I rather like Quorn, which are mostly packaged in cardboard. 100% recyclable.  So this gave me an idea, if we take £10 to the butchers each week and then pad the other meals with veggie stuff, not only would we be reducing our plastic we'd be also be reducing the amount of meat we eat. Mankind does not need meat for every meal. And there are environmental issues with farming, as my now vegan family like to guilt me with.

But I like the variety. So I came up with this compromise. 

Again, this is supporting local, which is nice to do when you can.

4) Sodastream

 

This little beauty is a staple of my kitchen. I am eternally greatful to my aunt for letting me have her spare! I am still on the first bottle I got back in May, the bubbles still tasting good. So instead of buying 6x1.5l bottles of fizzy water just shy of every two weeks, I am fizzing a litre daily. Just think about all that plastic I am not using! Guilt free hydration is the best kind of hydration.

Plus, the bottle I use is very portable, so I can take my fizz on the go with me! I tried decanting once into a re-usable bottle - it was messy! Unsealed bubbles make for leaky bottles. You would have thought I would have been able to figure that one out, but I had to try it. Nevermind, I don't have to worry about that anymore. I can take my bottle with me when I film Sharks @ 7 & 3/4, I can take it with me to the beach, and I can even wander down to the market with it.


5) Investing in Re-usable Bottles
 


Thanks to my active(ish) lifestyle, there have always been re-usable water bottles in the house. We genuinely have a cupboard full, they fall out every time you open it. I have a funny relationship with hot drinks; I love coffee but cannot drink it. Occasionally, the stars align and I can deal with caffeine! With my thermos, I can get it on the go and not worry about misleading paper cups and their unrecyclable lids. In the mean time, I can always put fruit tea in it. Coolers, however, I can always get on with those. I sometimes take my "good vibes" cup with me to work, so I can take one home with me and not worry about pesky straws ending up in our oceans. Plus, they last longer in that. And they leak less so my bike stays cleaner! 

My #2minutesolution to recycling in the bathroom

So those are just five of the things I am doing to reduce my plastic consumption and waste. (Cheeky six, if you count the last picture!) I am doing more, like using my guppy bag every time I wash my clothes. I'm still not entirely sure if the detergent is supposed to go inside or outside the bag... The next things to tackle on my list are plastic free washing up liquid, natural alternatives to cleaning products, investing in more effective plastic free feminine products, and getting to grips with exactly what Shropshire can recycle.

Plus, check out my #wherethembinsat campaign on Facebook. Since the lack-luster response from Shropshire Council, I have been litter picking, taking photos and then compiling them in an album which I have every intention of sending them on to the council. It is 2018, every street should have recycling bins. So if you have any litter pictures in the Shropshire area, send them my way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line