Final Friday Top Five

All images made using Canva


It's that time again when I lament about time passing and distract myself with lists. Have my top five bugs! As #30DaysWild is drawing to a close, it seems like an appropriate topic.



5. Shield Bugs



Shield bugs are awesome. The are big which makes them easy to look at, but pretty chill which makes them less of a "creepy" crawly. The colours they come in are beautiful too, that bright green or autumnal brown. Plus, it appeals to my inner DnD/Fantasy nerd that they are named after and look like shields!


4. Ladybird



Who doesn't like ladybirds? I remember as a kid being really excited to count the spots and figure out how old they were. One of those playground rumours which are utter nonsense. These bugs are iconic. There's Ladybird Books, Ladybird Books for Grown-ups, Francis the Ladybird in A Bug's Life, and so many more examples that it makes my brain crash trying to think of them!

I was surprised to learn that I had no idea what baby ladybirds looked like. After my first podcast chat with Carole, where we had discussed them, I googled them and they were so not what I expected baby ladybirds to look like! Honestly, I was thinking of tinier ladybirds but they are these spiky bad boys which are bigger than ladybirds! Madness.


3. Crickets/Grasshoppers



There's something about the sound of crickets and grasshoppers that just makes me think of lazy summer afternoons. We've heard a lot of them on our walks this month. It feels like it's way too early, but then I don't really know enough to really judge that.

Standing in the fields on our walks, the noise and volume is phenomenal. I went cricket hunting, trying to move carefully through the grass to find the source of the noise. I need not have worried, there were so many about that every step I took about three jumped away from me! I managed to get a couple of pictures of them, but they are not great.

They are amazing to watch, those hind legs take them so far. Nature at its finest. (Sharks not included.)


2. Water Boatman



My first and only aquatic bug: the water boatman. My first primary school was very nature orientated, being in the middle of the countryside and all. Every year we would go on the same residential trip to a place called Sutton Courtney. It was the best week of the school year. We'd go on muddy walks, play in the woods, and learn all about nature. Including about the ecosystem of a pond. Water boatmen always stuck in my mind. Something about the way they move backwards and look like rowers fascinated me. We always had ponds in the garden when I was growing up, so it was one I could see at home too - and get excited about the ecosystem in my own back garden.



Honourable Mentions
Pond skaters
Dragon flies
Ants


1. Bumblebees



Bumblebees get the number one spot for a few reasons. They are vitally important to the well being of our planet's ecosystem, they are key pollinators, they communicate by dancing, and those fuzzy butts! Bumblebees are far more important than we give them credit for and I'm glad they are finally getting the recognition and protection they need. Not only do they play an important role in the life cycle of plants, but they make honey! (Ok, so it's probably honey bees that make honey but I am no entomologist so I say "bee" and mean in general.) Honey is a versatile ingredient. It goes with both sweet and savoury foods. It can be used in homemade beauty products. And best of all, it makes hot squashes even better and are a must when one is poorly.





What do you think of my top five bus? What are your top five bugs? Have I missed any good'uns? Lemme know, below!






Listening to: This is Pavro Stelar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line