Final Friday Top Five!

 Final Friday Top Five!


Areas to Visit in the UK

It's that time of the month again, where I lament the passing of time and seem surprised it has occurred. You know, how is already the end of September? Yet will 2020 ever end? Who knows! That's the answer to both of those. So it is time for a distraction in the form on a top five list.

This month I am fantasising about all my favourite places to visit around the UK. What with lockdown and the weather starting to turn, it's unlikely I will see them before the year is out. But a girl can dream!



5. Abersoch/Porth Ysgaden


Abersoch and the Porth Ysgaden area one of the regularly visited spots for the Shrewsbury Sub Aqua Club. Meaning, this is where we go diving. I have explored more of the sea's depths than I have of the land! Still, it is a beautiful area - above and below the sea. With dramatic hills forming the coastline and plenty of diving spots, Porth Ysgaden has something for everyone. On drive throughs of Abersoch, it seems very similar to coastal Welsh towns I have visited in the past: trinket shops, adventure shops, and a whole ruck of chippies. I would like to take a longer trip to the area, I have only ever visited for flying weekend trips and spend most of them underwater. But it would be nice to explore the hills, take advantage of dining out in Abersoch, and of course go diving. 


4. Peak District

 

For me, the Peak District is a great go-to escape. It's all too easy to go to Wales with it being so close, but there are only so many times you can go to places like Rhyll. (No offense to Rhyll, I just like to mix up my holidays.) The Peak District offers a wonderful combination of bike trails, hilly walks, and sweet treats. Yes, I am on about Bakewell Tarts. The proper versions, not the Mr Kipling versions. Traveling to towns like Bakewell almost feels like going back in time, I love it!

The best part of the Peak District for me is that it's not all that far away. It's suitable for day trips as well as being a midpoint for me and my college girlfriends. That or it was equally awkward for all of us to get to. Either way, I have visited on holiday with my partner and as a girly holiday; finding every occasion a joyful experience.


3. Brighton


Brighton will always hold a special place in my heart. I have strong family ties to the town and I very nearly went to University there. It was only a shockingly poor grade in French which derailed that plan. It was very upsetting at the time. Not that I did not love my time at Northampton, but in the selection process I had set my heart on the coastal city. In some alternate reality, there is a version of me who got into Brighton and discovered her mermaidliness that way.

But University aside, I love Brighton. I am not one for big cities: the driving is stressful, there are altogether too many people, and they are cramped. But having one edge run alongside the coast removes a lot of the negative associations for me. And all the good stuff is on the sea front: the pier, the Sealife Centre, the chippies. (No, you have an unhealthy obsession with potatoes!)

I have some very happy memories of Brighton and I look forward to the day where I can make new ones.


2. Cornwall


I have been on a number of family holidays to Cornwall. Some I was too young to really remember, but when we last visited in my teen years I had a great time. There was fudge, the Eden Project, coast lines, a witchcraft museum, fudge... Fun fact: I broke the necklace I bought from the Witchcraft Museum just before I met Hard-fi because of how nervous and excited I was. (And I bet you thought that fun fact would be about fudge.)

Once again, I have a lot of happy memories of Cornwall and I would love to make more. Now that I can scuba dive, I would love to explore the surrounding seas as well. Family holidays can be limited by various factors - age limits, sheer volume of people, going during off peak times. It's an exciting prospect for me to visit as an adult with my own itinerary of activities. The partner is very good at finding weird and wonderful adventures for us to go on. (More on that in a minute!) I would love to see what Cornwall has to offer.


Honourable Mentions

Loch Ness

The Cotswolds

Anglesey 


1. Lake District


I have been to the Lake District many times and loved every trip. From family holidays to a weekend getaway with the partner - I feel like I have barely scratched the surface on what's available in this watery wonderland. Naturally, having lots of water features is something it has going for itself. But it also has a great variety in terrain; hills, lakes, coastline, touristy towns, hidden gems. If anyone even vaguely hints that they are going to Ambleside, I will tell them to visit Zeferelli's pizzeria. I have no idea if they restaurant even exists anymore but the pizza was just so incredible I want to tell everyone about it. Plus, that name! (So, yeah, I just googled it - still going strong!)

There are so many adventures to be had in the Lake District, and not all water based either. I mentioned briefly before that the fella is great at planning adventures. When we went a couple years ago the activities we squeezed into a four day trip included: an escape room, mountain biking, a distillery tour, a high ropes experience inside an old mine, and husky sledding. Yes, we got pulled along the coast by huskies which is as awesome as it sounds. Plus, we stayed in a castle with a four poster bed. It was all very luxurious. (And weirdly, the concierge was friends with someone I used to serve at the pub!)

We did a walking holiday of the Cotswolds a couple years ago, doing something similar around the Lake District would incredible. But maybe not in February like we did for the Cotswolds. Remember the Beast from the East? Yeah, that hit while we were out walking! But back to the Lakes. Naturally, I would love to do some water based activities too. I wonder if you can scuba dive in any of the lakes. Or wild swim. Or SUP. 

Excuse me while I torture myself planning a holiday we can't go on!



Where are your favourite spots around the UK to visit? Have I missed off anywhere good? Do you want to visit any of these? Lemme know, below!




Listening to: Daily Mix 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line