Mermaid Music: Steampunk

 

Mermaid Music banner

A genre I have recently got into is steampunk. It is as epic as it sounds. Jazzy music with a modern twist, with an electic mix of genres and styles. My go-to playlist is Steampunk Radio on Spotify, there are ome absolute bangers on there. So, I thought I'd share my favourites.

Fighting Trousers - Professor Elemental

Steampunk seems to go from electro swing all the way to gentlemen rap - which I did not even know was a thing until I heard Fighting Trousers. It is delightfully absurd and I want a pair of my own fighting trousers. They better be comfy. 

Tangled Up (Lokee Remix) - Caro Emerald

Caro Emerald is a spicy lady. She has a great voice for the jazzy style she sings. Tangled Up is great for its beat, but is elevated by the line "Treating girls like a yo-yo is a no no of monumental kind". Monumental... yo-yo... no no, all awesome words to include in a song. But they are all in the same line! So cool.

Booty Swing - Parov Stelar

I couldn't make a list based on my favourite steampunk songs without including some Parov Stelar. The perfect blend of old time jazz and modern electro. I could have put any Parov Stelar on this list to get your toes tapping. He is my go-to serotonin boost.

Automatonic Electronic Harmonics - Steam Powered Giraffe

Take a moment to appreciate the name of this band. Steam. Powered. Giraffe. I would love to witness the epiphany that came up with that name. I have listened to a few more of their songs, Oh No is particularly heart breaking. They tell a story and really paint a picture - setting up a world where steampunk space travel is really possible.

The Fine Print - The Stupendium

Sometimes, you fall in love with the song on the first listen - from the sound alone. Then you listen a little deeper, pay attention to the lyrics, and wonder how you didn't spot the true awesomeness of the song before. This is one of those songs. It has a catchy tune, but when you listen on the second or third time, it is a terrifyingly accurate story of the way corporations get away with treating their workers badly. Just with a jauny tune and the context of it being in space.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line