Suffering and Socks

According to my schedule, today is supposed to be a Merfolk post. And this is the first Merfolk post where I've had the person picked more than two days before! But my mental health has been suffering recently and the idea of doing a research heavy post and typing it out in hours I don't have with energy I don't have was leaving me anxious. So another day, maybe this month, maybe next: we shall see. You have to go where the brain tells you, and mine wasn't crying Merfolk.

But that did leave me with a gaping hole for content. What do I do?

Well, by random chance I was talking to a customer about bad sleep today. I have a bad shoulder at the moment and have taken to sleeping with a hot water bottle awkwardly lying against it. I should add, I had a lovely water bottle cover: it was cosy, soft, and kept the heat in until the following morning. But since moving in with my partner and having a house with central heating, I haven't had much need for it. So when the old bottle burst (I never remember to empty them), I just got rid of the whole thing. But guess what I didn't buy when I got a new one the other day? Yep. I just got the bottle not one with a cover too.

I have it in a spare pillowcase which mostly works. But not being properly insulated means it's a lot of hot on my shoulder. That in itself can be uncomfortable, but my issue is when it falls away from my body the sudden cold wakes me up! So it was in saying this to a customer that she suggested I use those sticky heat packs. I had contemplated it, but presume they will be a single-use plastic and that there would be a better, re-usable option. So she suggested I make one: out of rice or beans, in a pouch, and then just microwave it!

I tend to avoid the shop versions of those, because they are always scented with lavender. I cannot stand the smell of lavender, it gives me headaches! But the idea of making my own one, sans lavender, appealed greatly.

As soon as I got home, I looked up a method online - just in case. I'm glad I did, because instead of sewing a pouch this blog suggested using a pair of socks. I didn't fancy dedicating a pair of socks to my heat related relief, but I have plenty of odds. Instead of doubling up the sock, I figured I could just fold it in on itself.

So what did I need?





Everything I needed is in that photo. An odd sock and 1 1/2 cups of rice.

And it is so simple to assemble, if anyone else has any aches and pains I can recommend it. The sock stays hot and is malleable to mould around the aches.

How do I assemble it?

  1. Measure out the rice.
  2. Decant into something easy to pour - I used a jug.
  3. Open up the sock and carefully tip the rice in. I did it a bit at a time to minimise rice spillage.
  4. Tie a knot in the sock at the top of the rice and fold the rest of the sock over the ricey body.
  5. Ping in the microwave! I did it for minute and a half, with a little dish of water but I don't think it's necessary.
  6. Place on owie.

It's worth noting to not use a synthetic sock and to keep an eye out for smoke. Obviously stop it, if things start burning! I believe you can add essential oils to make it smell nicer, I have yet to be adventurous. Wanted to test it didn't blow up my microwave first! It hasn't, so maybe I will dig some smellies out for next time.

I have kept mine on my shoulder for the last couple hours. It retains its heat for some time and my shoulder feels somewhat happier. The ultimate test will be to see if it can stay in place while I read and wriggle. I'll keep you posted!

Chillin' like a villain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line