Longford Turning

 

Anyone in the local Drayton area would have seen recently that there are plans to build 90 houses on an established patch of woodland, known as Longford Turning. I live just around the corner from the proposed building site and as a user of those woods I am astounded that anyone would even consider building there. Especially considering the campaign to plant a tree for every person in Shropshire. Entirely backwards.

Taken from the @saveourwoods Instagram


During 30 Days Wild, I used those woods every day for my acts of wildness. The dogs love exploring the wood (as do I!) and it is wonderfully reassuring that within five minutes I can surround myself with trees. Nature is an incredible tonic for the mental health and it is endlessly fascinating watching the tree cycle through the seasons. While I am admittedly a spring/summer girl, the autumn colours are glorious.

With growing populations and a pandemic playing havoc with the economy, I can understand why building a new estate would have its benefits. The building will create jobs, the houses will bring new people into the area, and bring civilisation to a quiet area of town. Except, will it really though? Our town facilities - schools, doctor's, dentists - are already operating at capacity and at this end of town we have Mullers and a couple take away places.

 

Of course, this proposed estate is just a stone's throw away from where a McDonalds is billed to be. Another firm no from me, I assure you. Not only is it a poor excuse for food, but I object to massive amount of litter which comes with the fast food joint and the increased amount of traffic it will bring to this quiet part of town. No one will walk to a Maccy D's on the edge of town. Again, I can see the benefits to bringing a brand name into the town. Jobs, increased spending, trade from outside the town - but just not there! It would make much more sense to put it near the Gingerbread Man, on that business estate as it would catch much more passing trade than tucked in a quiet corner.

But alas, there are circumstances which I am not privy to which have lead to the site selections, on both parts.


There is a big part of me which believes that the Longford Turning estate is a done deal. But there is an other part which is hopeful. There has been a massive push back on the proposition, spearheaded by a local lad called Elliot. He and a few volunteers have been providing a platform for locals to voice their concerns. A Facebook page, an Instagram, and a ruck of posters for people to hang. I applaud their effort and am humbled by the passion they feel for saving this stretch of wildlife. I see the posters every time I go for a walk. It is wonderful to see the community coming together.

Will the community win against the money? We will have to wait and see.

 

Taken from the Say No - Longford Turning Facebook

 


Listening to: Hallowe'en

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line