Final Friday Top Five

In honour of Stephen Hillenburg, genius behind Spongebob Squarepants, this top five is going to be my top five Spongebob episodes.

5. Band Geeks (2.15)

Photo from TV Tropes

I feel like this is everyone's favourite episode of Spongebob, but it is an absolute corker. It ends with a bop and provides us with some of the best jokes. From is mayonnaise an instrument to Squidward snorting band humour after every pun, this episode just keeps on giving.


4. Skill Crane (4.4)

Photo from The Pony Producer

Be the crane. Words to live by.

I am fond of the Squidward heavy episodes, because as much as he tries to deny it he is just as crazy as everyone else in Bikini Bottom. He gets so obsessed with winning the skill crane! On a similar level to how obsessed Spongebob is with Kevin the jellyfishing guy. Or Mr. Krabs and money. Or Plankton and the Krabbie Pattie formula. Crazy, intense Squidward is my favourite Squidward.


3. Spongebob's House Party (Party Pooper Pants) (3.11)

Photo from YouTube

I love this episode. Patchy the Pirate is on good form and this episode has some brilliant quotes. I use "switch this party into the on position" quote on a regular basis. I have a playlist named after it. And it's popular in my family too. Addy was obsessed with Spongebob when she was a toddler, so my mum who was very pregnant with Dylan watched a lot with her. She sent out party invitations with that quote on! 

I feel like it's relatable too: doing your best to provide a good time, but being too fixated on the plan to relax and enjoy what is happening around you. This is why I don't organise or host many parties, because I would go full Spongebob! Maybe minus the bunny costume and getting arrested.

Also, another great quote worth mentioning: After recieving a party invite from Patchy the Pirate, Spongebob comes out with this gem, "I'd sure like to go to this party, but I can't read the invitation. Whoever sent this obviously has no idea about the physical limitations of life underwater. Well, might as well throw these on the fire!" They know just how absurd this show is and just roll with it. It's genius.



2. I Heart Dancing (7.1)

Photo from The Ultimate Spongbob Wikia

This episode was first aired in the UK while I was at university. It stayed on my mum's Sky+ planner for months. None of us minded watching this one over and over with Addy for it is a gem. I can still do the dance from this episode (for the most part, I am not as flexible as an octopus or sponge) and the end who put you on the planet, ugh?! is so beautifully random. What even is that?! I also just really like the tune they dance to, catchy!

Excuse me while I do the dance.

Honourable Mentions
Procrastination (2.17)
One Krab's Trash (3.6)
Sponegbob Squarepants vs The Big One (6.11)



1. Squilliam Returns (3.8) 

Photo from Meme
This episode. This episode inspired my disertation. I argued that Spongebob Squarepants is more than just a giggling yellow sponge designed to tickle the sides of toddlers. He and his friends entertain the parents watching with their kids, the teens catching it on MTV, the young adults binging on Netflix. Spongebob is for everyone. And this quote represents this perfectly.

What kids see: Lots of mini Spongebobs deleting all the information in his brain in a frenzied panic.

What grown ups see: A mini Spongebob getting existential and meta about his purpose, and how he is a visual device to better display a joke. 

We are just a clever visual metaphor used to personify the abstract concept of thought was my disertation title. Humble brag, my disertation was the highest graded out of my course. 

So thank you Stephen Hillenburg for the laughs, the inspiration, and for the love of a weird yellow sponge. Your work will always be a major part of this mermaid's life.

Art by @AWDtwit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line