Final Friday Top Five: Top Five Sea Songs

Final Friday Top Five!

Top Five Sea Songs


There are loads of songs about the sea, or the seaside, here are my top five.

5. Beyond the Sea - Robbie Williams



Back when this song came out, I was a massive Robbie Williams fan. Rock DJ was my jam. Swing When You're Winning came out shortly after, so naturally I had to have it. This album is responsible for my love of big band music. (Well, this and the Pop Idol album.) I genuinely used to sing Mack the Knife around the playground. 

Bonus, this song was used on the Finding Nemo soundtrack which was a classic from my childhood. So whenever I hear this song, I can picture the beautiful ocean animation. To date, it is still my favourite version of this song. 

4. We Belong To The Sea - Aqua



Yes. That Aqua. Barbie Girl and Doctor Jones aside, they did a few good songs. And this is one of them. I have a lot of music. Like, 10,000+ songs on my iTunes. I am slowly working my way through all of them. (Seriously, I started going through them alphabetically in University. I graduated in 2012.) When it got to Aqua, a few songs stood out and this was one of them.

It's just pretty chill and the whole belonging to the sea vibe is one I can get behind. The video is pretty wild though - got to love the 90s. It's actually making me want to go back and listen to the albums again. Maybe skipping Barbie Girl... If you fancy checking them out, I reccommend Good Morning Sunshine too. Aqua revival, anyone?

3. By the Sea - Helena Bonham Carter/Mrs Lovatt



I love Sweeney Todd, Demon Barber of Fleet Street. My sisters and I used to jam to this in the car. And by "jam" I mean, have specific parts and harmonise. We are musical nerds. I am always Mrs Lovatt, because I cannot sing low enough to be Sweeney Todd. Also, she has the best parts. A Little Priest is a bop.

This was always one of my favourites on the album, for I have similar life goals. Murder and cannibalism not included. I want to live by the sea, married nice and proper. It's just a fun little song.

2. Knee Deep - Zac Brown Band feat. Jimmy Buffet



I discovered Zac Brown Band in my third year of University, thanks to my housemate. It was the time of year when the world was starting to warm up and the vibe of the song just matched so perfectly. It is the ultimate beach bum song. It even features Jimmy Buffet. The video to this is also pretty mad.

I have since acquired more Zac Brown Band albums and I love them all. Despite being a country band, their music sounds like summer beach music. And there is a great energy to them. Even their slow songs, like Goodbye In Her Eyes, have so many musical layers. They are just great to listen to.  Knee Deep will always be my favourite though, because it reminds me of my University friends and that time in general.

Honourable Mentions:
Half the Zac Brown Band discography; Toes, Island Song, Jump Right In
Disney classics Under the Sea and Moana soundtrack
Silent Sea - KT Tunstall

1. Down By The Seaside - Jimmy Nail


This is a cracking tune. I grew up listening to Jimmy Nail, he was one of my mum's favourites. Tadpoles in a Jar came out around the time we moved to Shropshire and it was often in the car. The whole album is fantastic, but Down By The Seaside is my favourite.

It. Is. So. Smooth.

And it contains a sentiment to live by: Life's a bitch and then you die, but life's a better bitch down by the seaside

Among other cracking lyrics. Seriously, if you only listen to one song from this list - this one. Do it.  

What are your favourite sea songs? Have I missed anything good?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line