Replacing Disposables in the Kitchen

Over the last nine or so months, I have been slowly making changes in my life so that I depend less and less on single-use plastics. It's not been as hard as I feared; it was all very daunting at the beginning with so much to change. But it's amazing to see how much I've already done and what ideas I have to further it all. 



Jay cloths --> Microfibre cloths

I have actually had a load of microfibre cloths for ages. My Nan gave me a packet when I moved into my flat. I used to use them as tea towels, with varying success, so when I moved in with my partner they just got chucked in with the rest of the towels and largely over looked for the ones which actually dried stuff. But when I was considering jay cloth replacements my brain finally kicked into gear and remembered what they are actually good for!

They are great for cleaning down the counter, soaking up spills, and don't scratch the hob. And I have enough that I can rotate them every few days and not run out. They aren't creating any extra washing as they slip into the loads we already put on easy peasy.

Sponges --> Loofahs

Once again, I have my Nan to thank for these. I did an Instagram post about these loofahs a while back, when I first got them. My Nan is downsizing and thought I would appreciate them. I love that woman, she looks after me.

Loofahs work great and last so much longer than diposable sponges. I realise I will have to get some more eventually, but it is eventually rather than every couple of weeks. And the scrubby brush thing is fantastic at getting really cooked on stains off of pans. I used to fight for 20 minutes at a time and then ultimately give up and leave it to soak on stains like that before. Now they brush right off after a light soaking. Washing up has never been so easy!

Future:
I need to find a washing up liquid source which contains less plastic. The Ecover brand is good because it is made from recycled plastic and is recyclable (although not the lid, annoyingly), but it is expensive in comparison to the Morrison's own brand. While it does last longer, it doesn't seem like a great long term plan. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I am all ears.



Kitchen spray --> Homemade spray

I am currently trying something new, something I have been aiming to do for a while. I finally found the opportunity to make my own kitchen spray - using this Pinterest recipe. (Recipe the word?) Actually, what happened is I remembered to not throw away my orange peel and keep it in my lunchbox!

At the moment, the orange is steeping for two weeks in vinegar. On the 31st, I will be diluting with equal parts water and decanting it into a hopefully empty spray bottle before testing it out! I will let you know how it goes, and if my entire kitchen smells like a fruity chippy afterwards!




Cling film and sandwich bags --> Tupperware and sandwich sheets

I hoard tupperware. When we treat ourselves to take away, I clean and keep all the pots I can. Because they are so useful! Leftover dinner? Tupperware. Lunchbox? Tupperware. Cut too much veg for the pizza? Tupperware! The uses are never ending. And they are transportable. They stack in the fridge - which is much better than tetris-ing in cling film covered plates. I do still have a little cling film, but have no intention of buying any more. I use it to wrap gingerbread on the occasions I bake it; I will find an alternative when I run out.

The sandwich sheets were a genius moment, I have to admit. Who knew camembert packaging would be so useful?! They are perfect size for covering sandwiches and they keep them fresh. I've yet to bite into a stale sarnie at work - even when I make them the night before and keep it in my backpack over night. They also work well for wrapping fudge and biscuits, especially the waxy ones. (The biscuits do go a little soft in the checkered ones.)

Thanks to both of these, my lunchbox is plastic free. Once I get the hummus recipe off my mum, I have tupperwares in varying sizes to transport it in!



Greaseproof Paper --> Baking Sheets

I don't know if you can tell, I LOVE THESE. They work in cake tins, they work on baking trays, they work on the grill. Sweet, savoury; our food does not stick to pans anymore (making my washing up even easier). And I now have a place to dry them properly! My own little washing line over the back of the sink. I need more in my life, two is not enough!

Greaseproof paper is not missed in my kitchen. I have a piping kit (somewhere deep in a cupboard), so if I fancy braving piping I don't have to fashion a cone, I already have one. Besides, greaseproof paper was always such a faff; cutting it down to the right size, fighting it into the corners of the pans, sticking it down with butter... The corners of my cakes may be a little messy now, but it is so much easier to plonk the sheet down and pour.

And like I said, these sheets work with savoury dishes too, eliminating the need for tin foil too. We used to cook everything on tin foil and get through so much of the stuff. Straight swap and I have never looked back.


Spice Jars --> Spice Pots

We have an extensive spice collection, with some really weird contributions. I think my partner got the family spice collection when he moved out. Not sure why, but I love it. We can create a lot of variety in our dinners with seasoning alone. However, it is massively disorganised no matter how much I try to keep it tidy. In part, I think this is because everything is in different sized jars and no amount of yelling put that thing back where it came from, so help me! works.

My aim is to eventually move all our favourites into glass pots like those above and rebuy in bulk, then I can decant what I need. And the other beauty of these pots is I can make my own spice mixes. My sister gave me a spice cook book for my Birthday a couple years back. The first pot in that picture is my Ras El Hanout mix from that book! It was great fun, and I'm sure it's cheaper in the long run making my own than buying the Schwartz mixes.

Other Future Plans

Off the back of refill spices, I would like to find somewhere near me that sells "pour your own oil". (Does that make sense?) It's great when the fancy olive oils in the glass bottles are on offer, but more often than not I am forced to get the cheap plastic oils because it is galling paying so much more for the same product. But with more packaging free shops cropping up there must be somewhere local I can go for my oil. Hopefully pasta and rice too!

With one of my 2019 goals being to make more, my first craft project is going to be making my own napkins. Ones I can wash and re-use. And probably cry over while I'm sewing them together. Have I mentioned I suck at sewing? I haven't bought paper napkins since I ran out, who knows when. Now while they aren't a staple of my lifestyle, I do sometimes lament a lack of them. And it would be nice at dinner parties (because I host sooooo many of those) to be able to provide napkins, especially ones I made myself. Ok, so maybe they'll be useful on DnD nights when I serve pizza. Don't want to get our character sheets mucky.

My last solid plan is more of a "I must remember to do this next time I go to IKEA". My partner and I have hosted BBQs in the past. Now, it's all well and good serving guests inside on proper plates, it's a little different outside. So rather than get disposable paper plates, plastic cutlery, etc, I want to get some of those durable plastic plates and cutlery from IKEA which I think are supposed to be for kids. They are well suited to outdoor use and are reusable. That or some pretty bamboo ones. But that's an "as and when I remember".

How have you made your kitchen less disposable? Have I missed something glaringly obvious? Let me know!

My spices looking so pretty.



Listening to: Aly & AJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line