Final Friday Top Five!

Final Friday Top Five!

Outdoor Water Activities

Legit just chilling in a river.

The water is my happy place, so in these trying times I thought it's be fun to look at my top five things to do at a body of water! Never mind that we are on lockdown and this might be legit torture!


5. Canoeing

Me in a canoe last Earth Day
 
Best time to canoe? Well, when picking litter out of a canal for me, of course! I've never done a proper canoeing course because honestly the thought of purposely capsizing my boat freaked me the hell out. Naturally, I understand why they teach you it, it's so you can get back out of the boat. However, I have done canoeing and kayaking through school residentials and with my partner on adventure days. I always enjoy it and when my arms start to ache, I just like to chill and look for fish. Or mermaids. Or gindeylows if it is particularly weedy.

 4. Stand Up Paddle Boarding

An activity for everyone, pups included! Photo from Isle Surf and SUP

It may come as no surprise to you but I suck at SUP! Between my tight calves and terrible balance, I cannot travel with any speed and usually end up arse first in the water! Having said that, it is still so much fun. I've seen you can even get giant SUPs and have a party of eight on them. (Although probably not the best activity when social distancing!) I will admit that I am much more willing to fall into the water when it's a lovely, warm, Italian lake than a cold, British one. It is disorientating when you go but oh so spectacular to watch. Especially when your partner's aunt decides to do a flip off one after having done yoga. (Seriously, this woman is incredible.) It's a great group activity, individual SUP or otherwise.

We went while in Italy (if you hadn't guessed) and you can bet in the group of sixteen of us that went all the boys went racing off to see who could go furthest fastest. I was very much trailing at the back but hell, I was in Italy. I was in my happy place! (Other than at the sea, of course.)

3. Snorkelling


😍😍😍😍 Photo from Travel Triangle

My first experience of being able to breathe underwater was when we briefly snorkelled in Malta. My family were freaked out by being able to see fish while I very much would have stayed in the water all day. I have also snorkelled at Alderford Lake which was just as beautiful just less tropical. I find it a very relaxing activity. To get the best view of the fish, you just need to float and watch. (Move around occassionally, so people don't think you're dead!) It's quite meditative really with the underwater sounds and a focus on your breathing. I am desperate to go snorkelling again, I crave that peace!

2. Open Water Swimming


Dyl and me at Alderford, post swim. (Faces because it was a video!)

Do you know what Alderford Lake is also great for? Open water swimming. I love swimming but I do find pools to be quite stressful. I always get caught behind old ladies swimming too far apart, but just close enough that you can't make a point of swimming through them. (I have tried.) I am also paranoid about my swimming costume falling down as none of mine really fit me. #bigboobproblem But open water swimming takes all that away. Plenty of space and you'd be mad to not be in a wetsuit!

And the best bit? No chlorine. Sometimes I come away from pools with the itchiest eyes. Also, I am the biggest doofus and usually end up swallowing half the pool so I get chlorine burps. I am a gassy person and exercising can make me burp - no idea why - it's just at its worst in the pool. So far, no one I have explained chlorine burps to has looked at me like I am sane. Please tell me one of you gets chlorine burps!


Honorable Mentions
Jumping in puddles
Rock pooling
Outdoor water parks 


1. Diving

Panoramic of Capernwray

Did you honestly expect anything else going in the number one spot? Being under the sea is like being in another world. Everything is just so different. Even the plants, something we have an abundance of on the surface, are spectacularly different. And that's not even taking the fish into consideration!

I get so excited whenever I spot something new or something I recognise. You have know idea how much I am looking forward to the day a shark looms out of the gloom towards me. I may even wet myself. (Fear, excitement - you decide.) But honestly, I love seeing all the things. I almost missed the seals pulling out our fins on one trip because I was excited about a sea hare. I fought a running current to look at nudibranchs. Both instances were thirty seconds of a thirty minute dive, but those are the bits I will incessantly tell everyone about. Usually with great excitement, arm flailing, and a high pitch!

When life gets back to normal, I can't wait to get back out diving again. And I serious cannot recommend it as an experience enough. If you want to try it as a serious hobby do a Try Dive with your club. If you want a fish filled experience somewhere warm, then maybe see if there is the opportunity to go diving on your next holiday. Just get in the water!

Or on it. What is your favourite outdoor water activity? What do you recommend? Have I missed anything good? Lemme know, below!


Listening to: This Is MIKA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Friday Top Five!

Marine Creature of the Month JUNE

6 Months Down The Line